Cysco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLRU, Tesla Model S Plaid
Country flag
Which is bad news for those of us hoping that this would start in the $50K range. Looks like, as usual, Jeep is trying to position everything for the premium market. I guess it makes sense if they're going to try to not lose billions like Ford has said it's happy to do on its EV makeover, but bad news for longtime Jeep fans like me who started out at age 15 driving a CJ-5 without carpeting or even a radio and who just want an affordable Jeep to drive and don't need all the bells and whistles.
100% for sure. Suckers like you and I are going to foot the bill for the automakers to build their platforms. I've just accepted it as an early adopter of new tech my entire life. That said, if the Recon is like most enthusiast EVs that have come out, you can reserve it, drive it for a while and sell it for a profit.

AMC4x4

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Wrangler JK, 2019 Subaru Forester Sport
Country flag
I've just accepted it as an early adopter of new tech my entire life.
This is true... Although lately, I've opted to be *just* behind the "early adopter" first wave to get closer to a balance of early adopter and not getting my wallet completely emptied. 😊 For instance, I finally just got my first 65" OLED. Had I known how amazing they were, I might not have waited so long.

EM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Country flag
The Recon looks like a 3 row SUV. I do like the look but not sure if it will be too big for me.
Does anyone know if a 2-door will be made available sometime in the future?

MaskedRacerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Country flag
Welcome!
I think most of us would be pretty disappointed in less than 300m of range. It's probably the only thing that would prevent me from getting one. Well, that and a 0-60 of more than 4-seconds.

I currently own a Model S Plaid and a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with Sky one-touch roof. I too had a Rivian on order, but gave the reservation to my dad, who took delivery a few weeks ago. I Want a vehicle that combines some semblance of the EV performance of my Plaid with the topless off road capabilities of my Wrangler.

In my head, I've convinced myself that the Recon will check all the boxes. It may not be as fast as the Plaid, or as capable as my Wrangler off road, but it'll hopefully combine a lot of those characteristics into one package.

I think you and I are on the same page.

With the range, I just did a really simple backwards calc based on a medium battery size and some out-of-my-a** Wh/mile number, but I totally agree, I feel like 300 is my new minimum for an premium BEV produced in 2024, so I'm hoping it hits that (with the medium spec STLA battery, that would need about 345Wh/mile efficiency).

There's a lot I love about the R1S, wife and I both, the design, the size, it's neat, unique, has a lot of "Tesla DNA" in some of the choices they've made. Originally we wanted the R1T, thought it might be done to own a truck, but it doesn't make as much sense for us as an SUV, we'd use the 5-6 people seating more than we'd use a truck bed, but that extra 17" length makes the R1T just extra long enough to be a pain to park in our garage.

Our Jeep has been great (we operate it electric mode 98% of the time, so get like 1000 miles a tank), the dealer is 7-8 miles away (vs. 2 hours for Rivian until if/when that Jacksonville location opens), and at $70K it might make more sense for us (since we're both VERY low mileage drivers, work from home).

At this point we're definitely wait and see, but I will definitely jump into a reservation for the Recon unless there's something that's a huge deal breaker (like range, charging speed).

We're looking for something fun for family use, light offroad / beach / tow capable, heck, maybe even for the daughter to drive to school (still a whole school year ... thank god :CWL: )

Cysco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The Recon looks like a 3 row SUV. I do like the look but not sure if it will be too big for me.
Does anyone know if a 2-door will be made available sometime in the future?
Seriously doubt it. It's a dance of range desired <->Number of batteries needed <-> Size/weight needed to hold batteries. It sure looks like the Recon is Rivian R1S sized. Which is to say it's the size it is because it's the size needed to accomplish the goal.

Reducing the size down to a 2-door version would make the range so small that no one would buy it.

AMC4x4

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Wrangler JK, 2019 Subaru Forester Sport
Country flag
Reducing the size down to a 2-door version would make the range so small that no one would buy it.
Yeah, Jeep has even stopped selling 2-door Wranglers in EMEA because they can't electrify them with the 4xe. Something about the combination of no battery space and the drivetrain is too large or something. That led to rumors they'll do the same in the US, as well as eliminating manual transmissions. I can't see Jeep not having a 2-door Wrangler in their US portfolio, but they're such a small percentage of sales these days anything's possible. I think they're 10-15%? My poor 6-speed is probably toast too. Small percentage of a small percentage. :(

EM1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda CX-5
Country flag
The issue is that the batteries are not to scale yet. Once solid-state takes over they can build a 2 door. I believe this is the reason why Tesla hasn't sold its sports car yet.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '20 Tesla Model 3 P, '14 Jeep Cherokee
Country flag
Here from the Rivian forum, too. I really like these Recon photos and this could be a great option for me - just needs more ground clearance for off-roading. Hopefully it's adjustable like the Grand Cherokee's Quadra-Lift Air Suspension.

MaskedRacerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here from the Rivian forum, too. I really like these Recon photos and this could be a great option for me - just needs more ground clearance for off-roading. Hopefully it's adjustable like the Grand Cherokee's Quadra-Lift Air Suspension.
Yeah, I saw your comment on the other forum, same here, lots of overlap in our use case. I have to believe it has some kind of adjustable setup, in those pics it's looks extra low (like it would have a pretty mediocre breakover angle)

DougalsMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Grand Cherokee 4xe Trailhawk
Country flag
Anyone else think the roof rails look like they could have a unique attachment point for crossbars? Could be nice to make installing/uninstalling a rooftop tent etc less of a hassle and leave the sky touch roof open if the crossbars remove easily. I’m also hoping for air suspension considering ground clearance looks like it leaves a bit to be desired.

DougalsMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Something else I noticed is it looks like there’s a spot for sensors in front of the rear view mirror as well as below the front bumper. The lower area could make front mount license plates and the potential for a winch tough?

DougalsMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The rear glass also looks much different than the “renders” we saw Ralph Gilles standing next to at 4xe day. Was definitely hoping the rear glass would be power up/down rather than pull a big pane of glass out to store somewhere.

Cysco

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@DouglasMD Saw some of that stuff too. That sensor/housing at the top of the windshield is HUGE. The roof rails having a cross bar would be cool except if you had the sky one touch roof :) .

The back glass is the most glaring difference from the renders. Will be interesting to see if it does anything or like you said it’s just fixed. I was hoping that it’d operate like the Wrangler’s, but that’s clearly not happening. Sliding down would be super cool. It doesn’t look like there’s very much frame around that window so maybe that’s it?

dral97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
440, Bronco, 392, YJ
Country flag
I think I like it a bit less than the original reveal. I’ll probably still try to get a reservation in on one, but I also have a hummer on reserve. I think it may come down to which one has the better range.

MaskedRacerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's my rear window theory, the right side had a handle, the same side as the lower portion.

This:

Jeep Recon EV First Real Life Look! 2025 Jeep Recon Moab 4xe Concept Shown to Dealers at Stellantis Event 1679969981383

See the silver area at the top? And some kind of handle?

The other side doesn't have that:

Jeep Recon EV First Real Life Look! 2025 Jeep Recon Moab 4xe Concept Shown to Dealers at Stellantis Event 1679970090840

Looks like it might be a side swing out? Though you'd have to move the 5th wheel, so like a Wrangler, but then you closed the bottom the side would be out to the side?

Anyway, just ruminating over the design, noted the asymmetry left vs. right on the glass section.