Jeep Recon Pricing Thoughts

greenguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cherokee
Country flag
I like what I see so far but pricing will be the biggest factor for me (besides specs). I am looking for max 50k base starting or I will lose interest quickly.

The Wrangler 4xe starts at 54k, granted that is a trim added on top of an already pricey lineup but I think that's a line in the sand for me and many others. I read that Car and Driver is estimating $60-80k based on trim. I hope they're wrong..

bek1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 JK Jeep Wrangler
Country flag
Yeah, $50k sounds good. When we start talking about $70k-$80k, I just don't know. The appearance of the vehicle is decent, but doesn't blow me away. I'm going to need something really special to make me part with $60k+.

Lonestar1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler Unlimited Willys Wheeler Edition
Country flag
It's being positioned against the Land Rover Defender, which starts at $53,500.

So, we might expect a similar price point. Mid-50's. But is that before or after the $7500 tax credit? I doubt Jeep will want to leave all that money on the table. That might pull the starting price up to 60K or a bit more.

But there's also the Wrangler to consider. The Recon is supposed to slot in below that.

The Wrangler 4xe starts at around $55k. So, the Recon starting price would have to be less than that -- figure around $50K -- if it was a plug-in hybrid. To that figure, we can add whatever premium Jeep thinks people are willing to pay to get full electric over PHEV. I have no idea how to calculate that, so I'm just going to guess that it's equal to the $7500 tax credit.

So, my estimate is high 50's to low 60's.

MaskedRacerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Country flag
I'm thinking low-to-mid-60s given the battery size they'll likely need.

re: the Wrangler 4xe, a PHEV has all the electric components, plus all the ICE components, there's a lot of double dipping in parts and cost - so the 4xe is a tricky price comparison.

Seems like most of the AWD, mid-performance full sized SUVs are hitting that mid-60s mark, and going up as they add bigger batteries/higher performance.

The new Kia EV9 that was just announced starts at $53K, but the first AWD model, with a 260 mile range is $63K. A dual motor / 260 mile standard pack R1S is $78K (but that's a more boutique brand).

But a lot will come down to battery/range, and performance/motor configuration.

LoneWolfO6

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Country flag
They should have made it look more like a Jeep, maybe the Jeep Wrangler, and not the flexed Renegade look alike it is currently?!

MaskedRacerX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Tesla M3P / '21 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
Country flag
They should have made it look more like a Jeep, maybe the Jeep Wrangler, and not the flexed Renegade look alike it is currently?!
The Wrangler "look" is reserved for the Wrangler, and this isn't meant as a replacement. This is meant to drop into the space between something like a GC and the Wrangler - while also being as battery efficient as possible.

The latter is where a BEV Wrangler is going to have the most problems, so I'm not surprised Jeep (aka Stellantis) wants to make their first BEV product a good representation of effective BEV vehicles by going with a more efficient design.

If they can get 300 miles (EPA) out of this, they'll have a winner!

JungGravy

First Name
Jung
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Jeep GC 4XE Trailhawk
Country flag
It's being positioned against the Land Rover Defender, which starts at $53,500.

So, we might expect a similar price point. Mid-50's. But is that before or after the $7500 tax credit? I doubt Jeep will want to leave all that money on the table. That might pull the starting price up to 60K or a bit more.

But there's also the Wrangler to consider. The Recon is supposed to slot in below that.

The Wrangler 4xe starts at around $55k. So, the Recon starting price would have to be less than that -- figure around $50K -- if it was a plug-in hybrid. To that figure, we can add whatever premium Jeep thinks people are willing to pay to get full electric over PHEV. I have no idea how to calculate that, so I'm just going to guess that it's equal to the $7500 tax credit.

So, my estimate is high 50's to low 60's.
I tried getting LR to build me a base Defender. But since they're selling $120k Defenders faster than they can build them, they can't even be bothered to communicate with "basic" customers.

Anyway, exremely glad I didn't fall far down that rabbithole. I dont think the Recon will stack up against the size and capability of a $90k Rivian. But it might steal some customers at the $65k mark. I'm willing to shell that out (after tax credits) for a top spec. But I'm concerned initial demand may drive dealer gouging like the Defender and Bronco

Signing Spock

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Mons, Belgium (San Antonio, TX originally)
Vehicles
2022 JLU Willys
Country flag
Probably wishful thinking on my part, but I’m over here hoping for an affordable Recon. If they do models like the Wrangler; Sport, Willys, Sahara/Overland, Rubicon, etc. with the Sport still being AWD but starting at mid 40s, that’d be very interesting to me…although, I’d admittedly want the Willys or Rubicon, something 50K+ is just wild to me for the size of these vehicles. From what we’ve seen, these are about the size of an XJ Cherokee. Not a LR Defender. If it ends up being larger than I’m thinking then of course I’d be alright with starting at 50K…but laying that much for a small SUV is a big OOF for this buyer lol

Maybe that’s just me being a cheapass but for the size, I just don’t see the benefit. If it can actually get 300 miles of range or more, that’d help swing my opinion too I guess.